Sunday, January 2, 2011
NO Excuses for being overweight, plain and simple..
Many people might disagree with this post and/or get mad at my view, but I am trying to spread the word on how not only dangerous obesity is, but how it is preventable, almost 95% of the time. In that 5% lie incurable hormone imbalances, medications, and very few diseases that ACTUALLY cause weight gain. If you are in this 5% and have been medically told that it is going to be virtually impossible for you to lose weight with diet and exercise, then this topic isn't for you. For the other 95%, please be aware that by me being blunt, I only want to help and make you aware that you have the potential to live a healthier life.
Often times I get the excuse, and debate (even by people that are NOT overweight), that overweight people have an addiction to food, no different than drugs or alcohol. There ARE eating disorders, such as compulsive over eating and binge eating disorder that are psychological disorders characterized by uncontrollable emotional eating BUT what people don't understand is that even if these people are over eating out of emotional distress (which they SHOULD be seeing a therapist and/or seeking professional psychiatric/medical help to work on the issue) there is still 100% NO EXCUSE on why these people can't exercise. Even if you over-eat emotionally, there is nothing emotionally disturbed about the ability to get off the couch and go for a walk/jog, join a gym/etc. I say this as encouragement, that you are not a hopeless cause, and even if you feel like this, there is hope of a healthier life and light at the end of the tunnel with eating less and expending more energy (exercise). But a majority of overweight people don't have a psychological illness, but a desire to eat crap and not be physically active. I say this so forwardly, because I believe that if somebody who has a weight issue reads this, it may open their eyes to the unhealthy way they are living their lives. As you've seen in my blogs over and over again, there are excuses for days on why people can't eat healthier or can't exercise. These excuses are just that, EXCUSES. The average fast food meal costs between $7-8, whereas a pre-made salad at a fast food chain or grocecy store or subway sandwich averages about $3-5. No excuse there. Next, the "I don't have time to work out". If you just walk or exercise for 30 minutes a day, that is 1/48th of your day. I am a full time student, work part time, have my own business starting on the side, have CHRONIC back pain from a serious injury, and still don't make excuses. We are not talking about getting stick thin, but reaching a healthy weight, within normal BMI (get your BMI here) and reducing/reversing the risks and effects of heart disease, high cholesterol, and type 2 diabetes caused by weight gain. And by the way, no matter what your weight, it is always healthy to exercise at least 30-60 minutes 4-5x a week when healthy enough to do so)
You have no idea how many times I get "well what do you know about being overweight, you've never been fat"...well I do know that if I LET myself eat everything in sight and sit on my butt all day, I would have the potential for being over weight too. My biggest pet peeve is someone who constantly complains over and over again about needing to lose weight or exercise more or eat healthier and never taking a single step to accomplish these goals. You are not alone. There is more hope for you than you can imagine, but just like an alcoholic or drug addict, you have to not only WANT it, you have to be willing to take the steps. The "I'll start tomorrow" doesn't work, and tomorrow will never come. Someone once told me, "you can start your day over at any time". Apply this to food, exercise, and a healthier life. It's officially a New Year. Set goals for yourself, start small, the gradually increase them. From losing weight to eating more fruits and veggies, to exercise you CAN do it, and don't let yourself or anyone else tell you that you can't.
<3 Have a Happy and Healthy New Year!
Posted by Living Healthy with Jillian - Private Pilates . Fitness Consultant . Future RD . Nutrition Enthusiast at 5:22 PM