Monday, September 13, 2010

Weight Fluctuation? Why do I weigh more sometimes? The answers are here!



Did you know it is 100% normal to fluctuate up to 5 pounds a day? From the time you wake up in the morning to the time you go to sleep your body has done so many different things, that it makes this process normal. If you weight yourself after you eat, before you go to the bathroom, after you drink, after working out, all of these weight will vary, and sometimes significantly. Now sometimes you even fluctuate from day to day (I have this problem). One morning I will wake up, my tummy will feel all flat and I'll weigh myself, and be like OH, that's not so bad! And have a good day, right? The next morning I weight myself, I'm 2-3 pounds heavier, are you serious? It takes 3500 EXTRA calories a week to gain 1 lb, and I sure as heck know I didn't eat 7,000-10,500 extra calories. I also notice i'm a little bit "bloated" around the middle. What is this from? You better believe it, WATER WEIGHT! Also known as edema, or fluid retention, it is normally a very common problem, especially in women. Now let me say this first, if your fluid retention is way out of the normal range, as in it is completely noticeable and you have notices a significant weight change, please consult your physician, because sometimes that is your body's way of something somethings wrong, and those issues can go on and on. It is always best to consult your physician if you notice things are more out of wack than usual, just fyi. So now you are wondinering, what can I do to get rid on it? Here a few healthy tips to help get rid of that excess fluid in your body. 
1. Stay hydrated. I know, you are thinking "What, drink more water?!" yes. Believe it or not, sometimes you body can be bloated because it is dehydrated and holding onto the fluid you have because it needs it. Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water. It WILL help.
2. Lower your sodium intake. Unfortunately Americans eat 2 to 3x the recommended daily intake for sodium. Most Americans consume about 5,000mg to 6,000mg daily, when doctors recommend no more than 2,400mg. If you are sodium sensitive, 1,000 is normally the recommended amount. High sodium food comes from canned foods, processesed meats, fast foods, fried foods, etc. You know that when you taste something and it's salty, it is probably high in sodium. So those potato chips you like to eat a whole bag of in one sitting? Cut it out. They are not only a waste of calories, but they are swamping your poor insides with sodium and you will be irritated the next few days when you are bloated because of it.
3. FIBER! We have talked a little bit about fiber in my whole wheat bread topic. A diet rich in Fiber and Potassium can believe it or not clear out all excess junk, including the excess fluid and sodium. 

4. for WOMEN only- Your bodies retain fluid starting up to 5 days before your menstrual cycle. So  if you are a regular "weigher", you may want to skip the scale until a few days after it has ended, because it can and most of the time WILL give a false reading. 


So bottom line, don't freak out if your weight jumps a little. It is perfectly normal, in most cases. But those 3 tips above will help flatten out that middle section a little bit if you are retaining water. Summary: Limit sodium, stay hydrated, eat plently of fiber and potassion (i'm not saying to overdo it! Just incorporate more into your diet). You will probably take a few days but you should notice a difference in the way your jeans fit, your stomach pooches and the number on the  scale. With that, it's time for me to get going! Any questions? Leave a comment and I will do my best to answer them asap. Things have been a little hectic with school lately so I haven't had time everyday for my blog, but hang tough!! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment